Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Baptist Mission

One afternoon while I was in Haiti, we went up to the Baptist Mission. I went with Charity, and another friend who is in Haiti with MINUSTAH.

The mission is all the way up a mountain, hence the beautiful views (there are pictures in the previous post). It's also nice because they have a restaurant and bakery with amazing food. It's also just peaceful there, a welcome repreive from Port-au-Prince.

I had been to the mission before when I lived in Haiti. In fact, there was a teacher at Quisqueya who married a man that works at the mission. but until this trip I did not know about some of the, um, eccentricities of the mission.

For one, they have a "zoo." I put it in quotes because it's, well, a very sad zoo. Charity pointed out though that it's probably the only zoo some Haitians will see. We saw this monkey, who looked like he's had much trash thrown at him. Either that or he's been binging on candy lately.

There was also an alligator (with a little boy poking him with a stick), peacocks, and a whole slew of rabbits. No wonder, since they had more than one in a cage. Sadly the American Raccoon had died, but they still had a couple of snakes.

Somehow even stranger than the zoo was the mission museum. I'm not sure what qualifies as a museum, but if a few animals qualify as a zoo, I guess this qualifies as a museum.

Some background first--missionaries are weird. Granted, this is my humble opinion. But, in my experience, missionaries are strange, and have to be to do what they do. So the missionaries who started the mission had some crazy ideas. And, they have a whole wall of the museum devoted to their family and their photos. A friend told me that the Haitians actually call the mission "Kay Wallace," which means the house of the Wallace's, the people who started it.

So keeping in mind that missionairies are somewhat eccentric and bizarre people, here's
some of what was in the museum. Notice the fossilized dinosaur manure, and the Indian pottery--the sign is my favorite. And, possibly the most hilarious part to me is the, well, let's call it "slant" on most of the sign.

Like this sign to the left. It says "They ate all of Haiti's monkeys, but still liked to picture their faces!" Weird!

The blue wall below is a group of pictures of different groups of people around the world. So the museum had some Haitian history stuff--Duvalier, money from of old, some old armaments, etc. It also had the customary missionary versus voodoo display, and then it got weird.

There were some posters of old cars, then a few walls displaying clothing and customs of people around the world, and the whole wall about the people who started the mission.

I mean no disrespect to missionaries, but in my personal experience, this museum exemplifies what missionaries can be like. Self-absorbed, judgemental, and not always very accurate about things like fact and truth.

Like I said, not all missionaries, but many.

If you don't believe me, read The Poisonwood Bible.

One thing I learned though living in Haiti is that you just have to LAUGH out loud at stuff like this--it's funny!

Haiti is messed up. Laugh when you can.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Poisonwood Bible is a fave to both Britt and I ... when Troy gets bossy or crabby Britt calls him Nathan ... hee hee. We are trying to get him to read it, but if he does we won't be able to call him Nathan anymore. Not even jokingly. Missionaries are weird. You are right. -Tara

Anonymous said...

What is not added to this person's comment on The Baptist Haiti Mission is the work that the mission does to help the people with food and health care, we won't even get into the countless lives that were saved by these missionaries and the loss that they suffered while they were there. What have you done lately to help the Haitian people, they still are helping......

Anonymous said...

I love young, sophomoric globe trotters who know everything. You enjoy a delicious meal in a peaceful place and then stand in judgment of the life's work of the missionaries who followed a call. While your mom was dating your dad, the Turnbulls (not the Wallaces) were building a hospital. While you were popping zits in the mirror, the Turnbulls were teaching poor farmers to terrace their fields. You accuse missionaries of being "self-absorbed and judgmental", while in the same breath judging them on your self-congratulating blog. Missionaries are weird. Poverty is weird. Disease is weird. I think you are weird. You make me mad.

Anonymous said...

I lived in Haiti and visited the BHM on several occasions. It always struck me as a very peaceful place and the Haitians who lived nearby seemed happy and relaxed.
I also taught at QCS and had some of the Turnbulls in my classes. The sacrifice that these young children made amazed me. I'm sure they visited the states occasionally and noticed a profound difference. In Haiti, the basics such as electricity and water can not be taken for granted. There are no McDonald's, amusement parks, libraries, etc. I only saw one grocery store and it was sad.
If the Turnbulls chose to put family members on a wall to remind them of the love and sacrifice that was demonstrated by their family, who am I to judge.
As far as the "zoo" goes, I wish I would have known about it, I would have shared it with a few children who would have been thrilled. -Shel

Anonymous said...

I agree, the BHM is a weird and terrible place. The Turnbulls should have been removed from the country by force years ago. They spread lies which foment rebellion and revolt (read: Aristide) and are completely self absorbed. Recently they have had accusations that they were takeing children for "adoption" from parents who were giving up their kids for a payment. Seriously, this family needs to be investigated and subsequently removed from the country. They are just a mouthpiece for the morally repugnant elite and U.S. Embassy.

Maïté S said...

I went back this past Feb, the zoo is long gone. I'm not terribly sad because at least the animals don't suffer in poor living conditions anymore due to low funding. I went to school in that area as a little girl. Its so different now

Maïté S said...

I went back this past Feb, the zoo is long gone. I'm not terribly sad because at least the animals don't suffer in poor living conditions anymore due to low funding. I went to school in that area as a little girl. Its so different now

Maïté S said...

I went back this past Feb, the zoo is long gone. I'm not terribly sad because at least the animals don't suffer in poor living conditions anymore due to low funding. I went to school in that area as a little girl. Its so different now