Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Slobification of America, and Schmells Bargo

An admitted tv junkie, lately I've been watching Tim Gunn's Guide to Style. I love Tim Gunn because he's honest, but kind. In the latest episode he was dealing with a mom who wore nothing but capri pants and t-shirts, and he made a comment that it was the "slobification of America."

Well, this week I have witnessed the slobification of Schmells Bargo, where I'm temping. It's a "casual" work environment, which means jeans and t-shirts. Well, and sweatshirts and knit pants and I've even seen shorts. So when they started to sell "dress down" stickers for a United Way campaign, I couldn't imagine what that would bring.

The answer? Sweatpants. And more sweatshirts. I was shocked to see one person actually come to work in sweats and slippers. My take? Well, I think Dave says it best...something like a sweatshirt says you've just given up on life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

now don't you think that's a little bit harsh??? i've got this green sweatshirt that i really really love and would be happy wearing 4 out of 7 days in the winter... and i think it's way classier than the really really ratty gray sweater that i also like to wear all winter long! (please note that i don't typically wear either of these to work... does that help?)

Bridget said...

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am totally not against sweats. In fact, I usually put on "comfy pants" as soon as I get home from work in the afternoon.

What I am definitely against is sweats in the workplace. Ick.

Unknown said...

i can't take credit for that. I believe its from Seinfeld.

I am guilty of this when it come to teaching this semester. I don't care as much. I think because it's film and not comp. But I don't know the reasoning. And it's still warm so I can't break out the Courdaroy jacket.