Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Sometimes, you just want your mom

When you're sick, there's nothing more comforting than your mom. And my mom is awesome, especially when I'm sick. This weekend the infection, or whatever it is that I had a few weeks ago, came back. And it was fierce. Fiercer than Christian on Project Runway. :)

I spent pretty much all day Sat. and Sun. on the couch in pain, and Sun. with a fever. Once again, bless PBS and their "House" series, with Regency House Party and Colonial House keeping me in good company. Sun. I also had a fever, which was lovely. Mon. I finally went in, and apparently I was more messed up than I thought. The doctor did a white blood cell count, and mine was almost double what it should be. I got nervous when he said "Well, I don't think it's quite high enough to put you in the hospital yet." I didn't quite know that was an option....

But he did send me to the hospital, for a CAT scan. I waited three hours, lost between the day and evening shift, and watched people being wheeled through the radiology center. The hardest to see was a little girl, maybe 3 or 4, wheeled through in a red plastic wagon. There were also orderlies, one who seemed to push the same empty bed by about ever 15 minutes. After the first hour there was also a TV to call my own, and episodes of COPS and Flavor of Love to occupy the time. Not that I wasn't enjoying it....who doesn't want to sit in a hospital waiting room for three hours when they feel awful? Also, I think you all should know that Flave LOVES reindeers.

Finally I did get my CAT scan, which was wild. It felt a lot like I imagine Mike TV felt in the Willy Wonka movie. Only I wore my normal clothes, no white suit, and I had a contrast solution in my veins. That was probably the weirdest part, because it makes you feel like you're going to pee your pants, but you don't. That, and realizing the liquid in the crease of my elbow was actually blood escaping from the IV. Gross.

CAT scan done, I came home and tried to sleep, though there wasn't much sleep to be had, as insomnia came with the stronger antibiotics. Another trip to the doctor, and no real results, other than "infection." One of my cats is also curiously ill at the same time, and my mom put two and two together and realized that me and the cat might be passing a bacteria between us.

Now I think that being sick simultaneously with my cat may be the ultimate predictor that I am destined to become a crazy cat lady. Or chalk it up to those crazy cephalosporins that kill off all the good little creatures in your body who fight for you. Who knows. Anyway, the point is that my mom rocks, and she brought me Gatorade yesterday, and crackers, and cleaned my house. There is nothing better than your mom when you're sick.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm sorry you're sick! hope you feel better soon... jeff had a flu thing this week... i went back and forth between wanting to be his full-time nurse and wanting to stay as far away from him as possible so i don't get sick as well... so far i'm ok and he went back to school today... (i hope he was up for it!)