Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Perfect Seat

I just checked in for my flight tomorrow to SJC, and I would like to tell you that I got the perfect seats. The perfect seat, apart from the ones in front of the blue curtain, is the farthest back exit row, aisle, on the left side of the plane.

Let me explain. First, the aisle is awesome because you can get up and move about the cabin at your leisure, without having to bother anyone or crawl over anyone. You can go to the restroom when you please, and if you're traveling with others you're free to get up and go visit them without stepping on anyone's toes or tapping them on the shoulder while they're sleeping.

And the exit row? Well, there are so many reasons to love the exit row. First, it's one of the few "premium" seats that Northwest does not charge me for. That's cool. Also, you get WAY more room for your legs, which is great on a 4 hour flight. Now, why the farthest back exit row? This only pertains to larger planes, but if there is more than one exit row, the one in front will NOT recline, so that it couldn't block the exit in an emergency. The not reclining bit is one reason not to sit there. And it's also incentive to sit in the row behind that--no one will be reclining into your space, but you can still recline your seat (into the regular row behind you).

As to why I like the left side....couldn't tell you. Just weird, I guess. :)

2 comments:

Joel said...

That's good info. But here's a test of how good of a person you are (in my opinion)--if you happen to see someone who is 6'8" in a non-exit row, would you offer them your seat? Because I think you should.

Bridget said...

Joel, I hear you, but NO. And here's why: The 6'8" person in the non-exit row had just as much chance as I did to GET the exit row. But for some reason he didn't. And I spent some good time and energy to get it, and although a good answer would be "why, yes, of course," my honest answer is "no way, get your own exit row seat!"

:) (Does the smiley make it sound less mean?)