Monday, October 15, 2007

Childrens Do Learn

8 1/2 more days at Schmells Bargo!!! I had a skip in my step this morning as I walked in, despite the pouring rain and dark clouds. The woman who sits nearest me was searching the job listings again, and just generally looking unhappy. But I'm moving on! Oh, and the 1/2 day is to go to the doctor with my mom, who has a fractured vertebrae. Ouch!

So after the days of Schmells Bargo, I start my new job. There'll be a day or two here getting the office organized, then a week of training in Rapid City. I haven't been to the Black Hills since I was probably 10, so it should be a fun drive (barring snow).

As excited as I am about the job, I'm getting nervous too. It seems like there'll be a ton to learn, and lots of goals to meet. I'm sure I'll be able to do it, but I think it'll be a lot of learning and figuring out how to do things like marketing and outreach. I've never thought of myself as someone who would like marketing and sales, even in a nonprofit setting, but during the interview I was asked if I was competitive...uh, yeah. I've been thinking about it, and being a bit competitive is probably what'll help me reach the number goals even though some parts of the job might be challenging.

I think the best part of this job is that it's still in education. I was reading part of the policy manual tonight (nerdy, I know), and there's a whole section about ELL (English Language Learner) students, and I got really excited. It's great to be able to use my interests and background in a job that's not actually teaching.

And even though I'm nervous about it, I'm sure I'll learn a ton. As Bush says, childrens do learn, and I plan to.

No comments: