Friday, November 21, 2008

I heart my "admissions counselor"

And yes, he actually is an admissions counselor, but someone using the quotes seems appropriate, and hearting him is definitely sarcastic.

I got a voicemail from my "admissions counselor" today that instead of the afternoon registration date I had picked and asked off work for, I would need to come that morning. Since I didn't submit an ACT score with my application, I would need to come in to do the compass test, which would place me in the appropriate math and writing classes.

Now let's preface my reaction by saying I didn't really sleep much last night. I'm not sure if it was after effects from the sedation dentistry earlier in the week, or the fact that the cats were throwing a circus in my bedroom, but I got up feeling more than a wee bit crabby.

So when I heard the message that I had to take a placement test to know which ENGLISH CLASS to put me in, despite having a BA in English and an MA in teaching English, and having already explained to my "admissions counselor" at least 2 or 3 times that I'm only doing prerequisites for the MA SLP, I was a wee bit pissed off.

I tried to call him back, but he was not answering my call. So I e-mailed him, and probably with a little too much edge told him I will NOT be attending the morning orientation, and that I don't believe I need to take a placement test, and that I do not intend on taking any classes other than communications disorders classes, and that he could probably assess my math and reading abilities from my transcripts and if not I could fax him GRE scores, but I do not have my ACT score report from a billion years ago...

And he wrote back and said "You are all set to come in for the afternoon session. Since you already have a bachelor's you will not need to take the placement exam."

Wow. What an admissions counselor!

No comments: