Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Processing, processing

So here's random...last week I was off of school, with all the time in the world to sleep in, and sleep was elusive. This week I'm back to school, and am having no trouble sleeping. Go figure.

My class right now is intense. It's a semester course packed into four weeks. Two and a half hours a day, four days a week, for four weeks. Which equates to somewhere around 50-100 pages of reading per night, a quiz every other day, and a midterm project both assigned and due next week.

It's a good thing I like school.

I wasn't really sure I'd like the class, Central Auditory Processing Disorders (CAPD), but I've liked it better than I thought. One reason is definitely the professor. She's one of the foremost experts on the topic, so she really knows her stuff. Also, she's a really good teacher. And as exhausting as it is to be learning at such a breakneck speed, her teaching is impressive, and it really makes me want to have a chance to teach college again.

So if you're wondering what CAPD is, keep reading. If you're not, stop. Seriously, I've heard/read/thought about it so much already in the past three days I'm bound to ramble on a bit.

So basically, CAPD is a processing problem somewhere in the central auditory nervous system, in other words, your brain isn't hearing so well. You have no actual hearing loss, but what comes in isn't being processed appropriately, so you can't make sense of it. So far we've talked about historical problems defining it, some neuroanatomy and a bit about neuroplasticity and neuromaturation. We've also discusssed information processing, modality specificity, how speech and language tie into CAPDs, types of CAPD (Right hemisphere, Left hemisphere, Corpus Callosum), and typical indicators of CAPD.

In 3 days.

And I've got 3 weeks and a day left.

There will be more.

No comments: