Wednesday, January 24, 2007

"And so, like, well, I left civil engineering for ministry. If you don't know what civil engineering is, don't worry about it. It's boring. So yeah, like, um, I like wanted to get into ministry, full time ministry."

After an already painful display of public speaking (in)ability, our chapel speaker uttered these words, or something very similar, perhaps with more utterances of the word "like." Graciousness in these situations is not my forte, but I was really trying not to nitpick every word or theological difference we had. I couldn't let this go though.

This happened on the same day I first saw that my school was accepting resumes for my job. I had and still have been thinking a lot in the past few weeks about why it feels almost shameful to admit that I'm quitting teaching.

Somehow, teaching seems to give you sort of a badge of character. To say you're a teacher, and to be viewed as one by other people, seems to comment on your moral fiber, for better or worse. And quitting teaching...well, then, you must be backsliding or losing your faith or your nurturing qualities or something.

And now this guy in chapel, this guy who couldn't speak in complete sentences or utter a phrase without repeating like after every word, was telling all of our children that civil engineering should be poo-pooed for "ministry," whatever that means. It pissed me off, for myself and the kids. As I thought about what to do after teaching, I certainly didn't need someone else telling me that I could never do something as important as molding lives, and our kids certainly didn't need anyone telling them the math, English, and science they were studying should be abandoned for ministry.

I just needed to get that ranting off my chest. And in case people are wondering, I have absolutely no idea what I'll do after teaching. Probably rob a bank.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had to comment, Bridget, and tell you that I feel your pain! I'm strongly considering leaving my "badge of character" career as a social worker for cosmetology. While some have been incredibly supportive and encouraging, I have felt shamed and judged by others. So annoying. Good luck with whatever you find to do for your livelihood!

Charity said...

Robbing a bank could be interesting.

Leaving my badge of character career would be difficult in the guilt kind of way, although I have often fantasized about how 'easy' it would be to just to do manual labor day in and day out.

Bridget said...

Thanks for the comment, Tricia. It's good to know someone has had the same experience. And it's funny, cosmetology has always been appealing to me too.

And Charity, I totally get what you're saying. Sometimes when I drive to work I look at the places I pass and wonder what it would be like to work there.

Ruth said...

Isn't it just great to tell middle schoolers civil engineering is boring? Just what they need to hear. My students think just about everything is boring already.

Hello - every career can be a ministry!

As far as your "badge of character" career, I don't believe that teaching is necessarily better or more important than any other job. Everyone has different gifts.

That said, I didn't realize you were quitting teaching completely. I'm sorry, just because I know you do a good job and I thought you enjoyed it.

I hope you find something else to do that you love and I hope it isn't illegal. :-) Just complicates life, you know?

Ruth said...

Wow, just re-read my comment and saw I used the word "just" five times. I need an editor.

Bridget said...

I totally agree with you Ruth, about any job being ministry. And some days I do like teaching, certainly the entertaining moments, but the bad days seem to overwhelm the good ones.

I'll be careful not to get caught.

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

As a minister who sometimes wonders if it might be better to be a bus driver, but who also values the art of communication, I can appreciate your frustration at the novice preacher. I don't think you should feel guilty about a change of career - unless it IS to become a bank robber. [at least you could probably choose your own working hours though:-)]

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

By the way, thank you for introducing me to "Over the Rhine"