Saturday, October 09, 2010

Het Weekend

It's a 4 day weekend and I couldn't be more thankful. While you all may be celebrating Columbus Day elsewhere, in SD it's Native American Day. And I love it.

My schedule has felt really busy lately, and I've found myself with just an hour here or there, with no big chunks of time to really dig into something. So this weekend I'm doing just that. I am ignoring the very strong pull to get out of town for the weekend, and instead getting some important things done, and also celebrating having some free time.

Yesterday I started the weekend out with drinks and dinner with a friend. Today was cleaning and running errands until late afternoon, when I went on a bike ride with a friend. The sky was somewhat ominous, but we went anyway. We got sprinkled on, and eventually rained on, but it was warm enough that it wasn't miserable, and we finished 22 miles on the trail, some on parts I'd never seen before. That was fun.

Tonight has been spent laboriously reading and taking quizzes on research ethics and the protection of human subjects. I totally get the importance of it, but as I was reading it through, somehow it struck me as absurd that we have a billion little rules and processes to protect human subjects in research, but we do so little to protect humans from disease, famine, etc. etc. I know, totally random, but it's where my mind went.

Tomorrow is baptism of Ang and Ryan's littlest, which I am very much looking forward to, and then starting in on a paper for my Articulation and Phonology class. I'm going to be writing it about the use of sensory feedback in articulation therapy, which I'm really interested in. What I'm not really interested in, however, is actually writing the paper. We'll see how that goes.

Monday is so far planless, other than a bike ride with another friend. My hope is to use the day to organize closets and cupboards and get rid of things I don't need anymore, but we'll see. At some point I'd like to go and see The Social Network too. Hooray for long weekends!

No comments: