Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The mood

I promise this dark mood and the serious posts will lift once we see the sunshine here in Sioux Falls. Going from 300 days of sunshine a year to less than 3 hours this week is making me a little out of sorts.

A few goings on to report...Tonight I went to a thing at church on contemplative prayer. It was really very interesting, although the preacher talked way too much about silence. But the idea was great, and it was nice to actually be told how to pray for once. Even preachers usually say they're going to teach on prayer, but it's usually way too vague to do any good. This week though, there were instructions on how contemplative prayer is done, and next week Lectio Divina. I'm excited.

By the end of this week I will also know whether or not I may have some more funny kid stories to share on the blog. More on that later.

I'm thrilled about the Barack victories yesterday. I was so thrilled, in fact, that I decided to make a donation, and at the same time buy another shirt and a button. It was all going swimmingly until I pushed the submit button. I waited, and waited, and did NOT push the button again, being an avid online shopper and knowing the consequences. So after a while I got a screen that said something about not being able to communicate with the server, and to try my request again.

Suspicious, I checked my e-mail for a confirmation, in case the order went through and the screen I was seeing was lying to me. No e-mail. So I repeat the process (4 times, I found out today), and finally switch to another browser and complete the transaction no problem.

I check my bank statement today, and my debit card was charged 5 times for the transaction. I sent a quick e-mail to the web people, saying I love Obama, but not enough to give him ALL of my money, and explaining how I am a diligent online shopper, but their site was messed up. I haven't heard anything back yet. So I may be coming into some discount Obama t-shirts, and a much bigger political donation than I had expected.

I'm also considering calling for Obama, but I'm not sure yet seeing as how I HATE it when people (like Dordt) call me at home at night. But, if it works...does anyone know if calling strangers on behalf of a political candidate works? Well if it does, those Verizon free nights and weekends might come in handy. Yes, we can.

4 comments:

Joel said...

I don't know about cold calls for politicians--I don't think it would work for me, unless it was someone I was curious about and was in a good mood.
I refuse to give Dordt my phone number. When a diligent student emailed to ask, I was upfront and honest: "I'd really rather not--then you'll just call and start asking me for money. Maybe once I've paid for my own education."

Bridget said...

Ryan, I think an Obama t-shirt party must be the NPR-listener nerdy version of a wet t-shirt contest. In a good way. :)

And Joel, I totally agree about Dordt. I'm not opposed to them contacting me, but can we please enter the age of the internets and do it online? I suppose it would make it more difficult for crotchedy people to harass the callers by asking them to explain the Reformed worldview....it's a toss up.

Ruth said...

I can't imagine what it must be like to live in the dark, frozen north. Come to the sunshine. You know you want to.

meganleah said...

I'd be all for a t-shirt, if available.

I'm enjoying all of your posts.