Sunday, February 28, 2010

Beet Red

I just ran 20 minutes straight and did not die. Okay, to be honest I jogged, slowly. But I did it for 20 minutes! Straight! And did not die!

Which is an accomplishment. I'm on week 5 of the Couch to 5K, and have been dreading the 20 minute run. The run 8 walk 5 run 8 was hard enough, and I was pretty sure starting today that I wouldn't make it. But somehow the 8 minutes came and I thought I could go for at least 1 or 2 more, and so did, and by that point I thought to myself I'm not letting this beat me, and kept going. Okay, if you were really in my head there may have been a few expletives in that thought, but yeah, I made it.

And now, to show how hard I worked, my face will be beet red for at least a good hour or more. Some people sweat a lot, but not me. Sure I sweat, but mostly my face just turns red. I've googled it before, thinking it was just because I was out of shape, but it turns out some people's blood vessels are just closer to the surface, and having a red face is actually a very efficient cooling mechanism. Who knew?

I think it does scare people at the gym though, since they look at me with glances of concern. I'm pretty sure they think I'm about to have a heart attack and they're going to the be the ones who have to find the AED. But no, I just turn red. Lucky me.

2 comments:

donna said...

Way to go! 20 minutes is quite an accomplishment! Are you going to sign up for any 5k runs at the end of the program?

Hannah G said...

That's great! And I'm very, very glad to hear that you did not die. :)