Tuesday, August 22, 2006

First Day!

Tomorrow is our first day of school, ahhhh! No, actually, I'm feeling quite ready. The difference between last year and this year is amazing. It really helps seeing friendly faces around, and knowing some of the parents. My homeroom parents seem overwhelmingly supportive. I even had a few offer to grade things and help out. There is one psycho mom who will send me to an early grave, but overall I'm impressed.

I've never been a bulletin board person, but I'll have to post pictures of one I made this year. I guess "made" might be a little strong. I was at the Christian bookstore (yes, again there were crazies there, raving against the American Girls books carried there) and I found a book of the "postmodern Bible." It's a series of postcards by different artists and their interpretations of different stories in the Bible. They turned into a very fun bulletin board--not too cheesy, but colorful and intriguing, in my humble opinion.

I also completed a task today that was supposed to be finished before school started LAST year--I got a TB test. Seeing as how the clinic is about 300 feet from my apartment, I should have had it done a long time ago. I guess late is better than never though, at least when it comes to TB.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

I hope your day goes well and that you have a great year. And I can't wait to see your bulletin board. I'm working on mine - two more to go. (One in my classroom and I'm responsible for one of the ones in the hall, too.)

Ruth said...

Oh, and by the way, I'm at a loss to understand what could be wrong with the American Girl books. Was the person railing because they are a tad formulaic? Yeah, that must have been it. :-)

Seriously though, my daughter loved them and learned a lot from them.

Bridget said...

Ruth, she was mad because she "wants everything to be God-centered! Not just part of the way, but all the way through." She said she didn't like the "sassy tone" of the American Girls devotional book her daughter was holding. She said it was "too secular." Ugh.

Kristin said...

I've heard that Christians boycotted them because they support an organization that empowers girls and, uh-oh, has ties to planned parenthood. I can't remember which organization.

Ruth said...

An American Girl devotional book? Hmm.

I wonder if the Planned Parenthood link is a proven fact?