Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Midwestern News

I always laugh when I have to watch the 10:00 news at my parents' house. There's inevitably a feel-good story, usually welcoming someone home from doing something like feeding children in Africa or fighting in Iraq, a story about an old person in a small town (probably just for being old in a small town), and maybe a story about a local athlete choosing a college. Oh, and if you're lucky there might be a car crash three hours away, and they'll flash a graphic of the county map on the screen and talk to the sheriff via telephone.

I laugh because, well, it's not really news. My parents like to say they show more positive stories; I think they're just looking for stuff to fill the time.

News in Sioux Falls is a little better, but the paper tonight made me laugh out loud. There's a section called "Life: Food and Drink," because food and drink is really what it's all about here. In the section today, the story was about healthful fast food breakfast choices. One of the good choices (with 400 calories and 20 grams of fat!?!?!?) is the McGriddle, and here's what Rick Lesson, owner of 10 McDonald's restaurants in Sioux Falls said:

"I liken them to eating hot cakes and sausages with your hands."

Eeeewwwww. Is that supposed to be appetizing? I think this is something Jon Stewart should hear about. Who needs a pancake/sausage on a stick when you can eat hot cakes and sausages with your hands?

No comments: