Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bull

I don't buy it. There was an article in the paper this morning about how South Dakotans are having fewer children, and waiting longer to have the ones they do want. In my experience, that's bull. Actually, my experience has been quite the opposite. I can't go anywhere without being surrounded by other people's children. And being asked why I'm not married and don't have babies of my own, as if being 28 and single is spinster city.

I've got nothing against other people having babies. Go for it, reproduce with great happiness. But don't try to tell me that Sioux Falls is a city lacking children. You can't go out for dinner or to a store without some ankle biter (not your child of course, dear readers) pushing you out of their way while they run to pull a dog's tail or something.

There is also an abundance of what I've started to call circus families at church. You know who I mean. It's the family whose children are free to roll around on the pews, smoosh fruit snacks into the padded seats, and generally cause unfettered chaos. Just last week I sat next to one such family whose children had to leave the pew no fewer than four times to get toys, go to the bathroom, and do any number of other things.

So basically, the paper is wrong. There is not a lack of children, only a lack of children on leashes.

PS--To all of my friends who have babies, your children are and always will be perfect, along with my nephews, and I will always love them unconditionally. :)

3 comments:

Nellie said...

I know our children aren't perfect, but I hope they are fairly well-behaved!

meganleah said...

Love it. My family is totally a circus family at church. And it's only going to get worse :).

Oh, and I see you've lost any hope of my blogging for I'm no longer consider a "friend". But I did attempt to make an entry the other day. Check it out!

Bridget said...

I'll add you back, Megan! I just started culling people who hadn't posted.

I did lose hope, but it has been regained!