Monday, December 10, 2007

sermonless

I went to Covenant last night, a place that gives me such a sense of peace. They've been doing a series of topical worship services, at least the last few times I've been there at night. The last time I was there was agriculture, which I didn't really get into. I've had enough Wendell Berry.

Last night was work. Since I am newly employed, it had me thinking a lot. It wasn't like there was anything new said, but the presentation caught me. There were some thoughts read by congregation members on the topic of business, a slide show of some people and their businesses, and a couple of professors talking about what Christian business is.

Then Pastor Herm got up there, and didn't give a sermon. That's one of the things I appreciate about him--knowing when to be silent. He said he didn't think we needed a sermon, and I agreed.

I'd been thinking about my work a lot lately. Not just in the sense of being busy with it, but somewhat broader. The parent company I work for is a government contractor, probably involved in things I would strongly disagree with. But, the clientele I work with desperately needs someone to believe in them. It's a strange tension for me. But, if I've really heard anything from Pastor Herm, it's that doubt and tension are ok, good even. So I'm okay with it.

No comments: