Sunday, September 21, 2008

not sleeping yet...

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to sleep right now, even though it's past my bedtime. So I'm staying up trying to get tired (in lieu of taking drugs), but it doesn't seem to be working. It may be another melatonin night...

So while I'm not sleeping, I've decided to write a bit. Not about anything particularly interesting, just things. I spent most of today trying to set up a wireless router for my brother, and again realized why I love the Mac. After 2 or 3 hours of trying to figure it out, I could not. I ended up writing the helpdesk for his ISP (they're not open on Sundays), and got an e-mail back that I had to reboot the modem. Duh. Except for one thing...I'm not sure where it is. His ethernet cable plugs directly into the wall. Am I supposed to unscrew the plate covering it? Is it hiding on the other side of the wall? I'm not sure...it will take more investigating.

I had then planned to go to my office (yes, adjuncts get offices!) and work on tomorrow's lesson plan, but my nephew was too darn cute to leave. I'll save you the "he's so cute" stories, and just say that when I kissed him goodby he said "do it again," and screamed at me out the window as I left. Ah, the affections of a 2 year old.

Even with the playing around with him, I had planned to go to an English faculty reading. But, that would have meant missing a walk with my brother and sister-in-law and said cute nephew. I couldn't do it, and the walk was something I really needed anyway. A good choice I think.

Driving back, I was pleased to be able to once again listed to podcasts on my iPod, after having the cigarette lighter fixed. Who knew that if a penny got stuck in there it would short out? Okay, maybe you did, but I didn't. And I didn't put the penny in there on purpose. I just found it that way, really. I was pleasantly surprised that the repair cost me only $1. Seriously, I don't usually get out of there for under $200. And I also learned they're not called cigarette lighters anymore, but something like "power port," or whatever. Regardless, I'm happy it's fixed. I always figured that having a phone charger in my car would save me if ever trapped out in the snow, and in order for that to work, the "power port" must be functional. I'll have to watch out for those rogue pennies though...

Anyway, I'm sorta tired now, and seeing as how I do have to get up regardless of when I fall asleep, I'm going to go find a sleeping pill and wait for the cats to get in cahoots with one another to decide what tonight's uncomfortable sleeping predicament will look like.

No comments: