Sunday, June 27, 2010

Books

I realized I haven't blogged about what I've been reading lately. Or even recently...or in the distant past. It's been way too long.

Being in school and all I didn't read a ton this spring, but when I went to Hawaii with my parents I finished up Censoring an Iranian Love Story, and read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. Censoring an Iranian Love Story was interesting...I wasn't sure what to make of the narrator, or what to make of the entire story really, though I liked the writing style.

I was (and am) a big fan of Pollan's books. I definitely think those will be worthy of re-reading. I was also a big fan of a book called Little Bee, a fictional tale of an immigrant, as well as In Other Rooms, Other Wonders, which reminded me a lot of Jhumpa Lahiri's writing.

I started The Lacuna, but didn't finish it. I'd like to sometime, just somehow let it slip by me. I did finish Marilyn Robinson's Home, which I liked, but not as much as Gilead.

I was really excited to read some of Kate Braestrup's writing after being fascinated by an interview she did on Speaking of Faith. The first book I read was Here If You Need Me, and I'm glad I read that one first. The writing wasn't compelling, but the actual, gritty stories about the day to day realities of her job kept me interested. I then read Marriage and Other Acts of Charity, and found it so uninteresting I'm not really sure why I read it all the way through. I guess I was hoping for more vignettes about her job.

I'm currently reading The Lonely Polygamist, and I'm not sure yet what I think. I'm about halfway through, and it's not boring enough to stop, but certainly not a page turner.

1 comment:

donna said...

Thanks for posting this! I finally have a break from classes, so I've been looking for something to read :-)