Saturday, November 03, 2007

A Day in the Worklife

So far, after about a day and a half, I love my new job! I'm an Admissions Counselor for JobCorps, recruiting young people who are a good fit for the JC program.

I met the colleague who will be working with me in the office, and she's great. She even has experience working with the organization, so I think that'll be a big help. I'm actually surprised at what we've accomplished in the day and a half we've been on the job. Our office situation is touchy since we're leasing space from the people who lost the contract to run the program, but even so, we've already finished the HR paperwork, got all of our student files transferred over, and worked out an area marketing plan. It was exhausting, but really fun.

I'm so relieved to have the first few days out of the way, and to find out that I really like it. You just never can tell before you start something what it'll really be like. I haven't actually spoken with any kids yet, but I think that part will go well too. Maybe I'll even get some funny kid stories to share.

Next week we're off to Rapid City for training all week, near the JC center. I'm sure I'll post more there, maybe even some Mt. Rushmore pics if we're lucky. Right now I need to find a suit to wear Monday...teacher clothes are NOT equivalent to business clothes. Not that I own any jumpers....anymore...

2 comments:

donna said...

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your job so far! It sounds like it's going to be really interesting.

Ruth said...

I'm glad you told us about your new job - I've been wondering.