Friday, February 20, 2009

Away From Her

I just finished watching Away From Her, and wow... I was kind of dreading it. I picked it, I did, but it wasn't really something I felt like watching tonight. So instead I put in August Evening, the other DVD that Netflix quickly and efficiently mailed me this week (this is a new thing here in the boondocks of the Midwest).

But it sucked. The description had intrigued me--an undocumented worker (good), tragedy (good), and a touching portrait of love and loss (good). However, I put it in and it was just slow and boring. And the camera was shaky. I'm not sure if they were trying to be artistic or what, but I get motion sickness quite easily, and paired with a boring first 15 or 20 minutes, I turned it off.

And then there was nothing on tv, and nothing good TiVo'd, and it was only 7:45. So, dragging my feet, I stuck Away From Her in. I was hooked instantly, and on the verge of tears throughout nearly the whole movie. It was good, very good. More about love and loss than August Evening could ever be.

2 comments:

trcdkk said...

I feel like I've been running out of movies I want to Netflix lately, so per your opinion, I just added it to my list. Thanks!

Bridget said...

Yeah, I find it hard to keep my list stocked with stuff I really want to watch.

You'll have to let me know what you think of it!