Friday, February 27, 2009

No TV Day 3

I just read a comment on my last post, and it got me thinking about the rules I've created for myself for lent, and some ulterior motives.

Let me first say that I've thought about giving up TV a few other times, for other reasons. When I decided to go back to school, I thought about giving up cable for financial reasons. So I turned the TV off for a day to see what it would be like, and ended up just turning it back on. And every time I read something about how wise and educated and otherwise people are who don't watch television (slightly tongue-in-cheek), it crosses my mind.

So giving it up for lent isn't really all about lent. And it's probably Christian guilt, or wanting to make systems and rules up for something that really should be about something else entirely, I'd like it to be about just one thing, wholeheartedly. It's not.

And really, it's not even that big of a deal. At least I feel like it shouldn't be...seriously, a bunch of posts about what happens when I stop watching TV? It seems a little melodramatic when I look at it that way. And then I remember that none of you is being forced to read this, and I do feel like writing about it, so yeah, here it is.

Anyway, it's day 3 without tv, and my house is remarkably silent, in a good way. I haven't found some massive amount of extra time yet, but it does feel like some degree of freedom. And I did sit down and actually read the Bible yesterday, so there's that. Overall, I'm guessing at the end of it that I'll be proud of myself (warranted or not) for having done it, but I won't cancel the cable. Perhaps I'll come out of it just a little more moderate.

1 comment:

Hannah G said...

Hi Bridget,

I enjoyed reading your last two posts. We've been discussing some of the same issues lately, too.

I just attended my first Ash Wednesday service--something new to our church. But we've practiced Lenten fasting for several years.

One thing I find helps give perspective on the giving up of things during this season is that throughout Christian history, Sunday has always been regarded as a feast day, so for me the thought of a Sabbath piece of chocolate and a glass of wine makes giving up those things much more endurable. A Lent punctuated by Sabbaths is far more humane! We also break the fast for birthdays or other important holidays. (Yes, St. Patrick's Day counts!)

Plus, also in keeping with much of historic Christianity, we have made Easter a MUCH bigger deal than we did before we started observing Lent. After all, even Christ, "for the joy set before him endured the cross." It's a season of repentance and (minimal) suffering looking forward to the joy of resurrection. I love that angle on this part of the church calendar.

So, at the end of Lent, we celebrate Easter Week (which is hard to do, since work and school don't cooperate) by having a treat (like a stocking stuffer type of thing) at the kids' breakfast plates every day when they wake up in the morning. And we have a "never say no" rule all week when it comes to candy. (Apologies to our dentist.) Oh, and I make lots of fatty, deep-fried things and enjoy other elements of festal living.