Thursday, April 23, 2009

WTF????

Okay, so now I'm just confused. A little background...in this summer job search, there was always an old standby: the call center. And there was this big bank in town, who seems to be doing alright despite the current economy. And they're the only ones with ads in the paper. But, the jobs might be...well, less than savory. Selling people banking products they don't really need, collections, and least morally objective, customer service.

So after finding out that I didn't get the job I wanted today, I thought heck, I'm there...I might as well apply with this bank. Let's call them Bitty. That's not their real name, but you can probably figure it out. Need a hint? It's not Schmells Bargo. Think of another big bank.

I applied with them when I first moved here, though I didn't quite know I was applying. I went to an "information session," which was really testing. And, let's just say I was definitely one of the sharper tacks in the room. I passed the tests.

So tonight I jumped on their website, figuring eh, no big deal. I filled out the application, accurately, despite annoying fields that only took their specific answers in regards to the "function" of a particular job. And...

I was rejected. WHAT??? According to them, I did not "qualify on the assessment." Although I can fill it out again in 90 days. Ugh...

Here's what I can figure. The assessment was questions about how you would handle coworkers, work situations, and what your feelings are about work environments. I think I was too honest. There were a bunch of questions about whether or not you would want to stay at a job that was boring and un-challenging. Uh, no. (I was supposed to say yes??) And questions about whether you would tell your boss that a coworker was bugging you (no), whether or not you should tell customers you'll only talk to them if they stop yelling (no), and whether or not you should point out customer's faults (um, no!).

So now I'm just really confused...If they asked me "Could you endure a job you hated for 3 months so that you could make some money in between school semesters," the answer totally would have been yes.

2 comments:

Miss Linguist said...

I never do well on those computer-based applications either. I think it's because I read questions differently than the general public, and therefore, my answers are weird to them. That happened to me while trying to get a summer job at *cringe* Walmart in 2000. I got the job, but they asked me a few pointed questions with a suspicious tone during the personal interview.

Bridget said...

Yeah, it seems like they'd be thrilled to find people who are obviously responsible, have held real jobs, etc...apparently, not so. :)