Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Does It Make You Chuckle?

So Dave and I have been having a conversation lately about what's funny, and if it's different for men and women. Mostly, it comes up because there are certain things I just do NOT think are funny, but most guys do. Like The Big Lebowski (or any other Coen brothers movie, really), and Monty Python, and Mr. Show.

We both like Ali G, but different parts, and for different reasons. So we've been talking, and I've been thinking about what gender has to do with humor. Some other friends hypothesize that women like humor where they can relate to the situation, and guys like more detached, absurd or physical humor.

I'm not sure though...I'd love to hear what other people think. And is there anything out there that most women find funny that men don't?

7 comments:

donna said...

Hmmm.... Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail was one of my favorite movies in high school. But, although I'm a big David Cross fan, I couldn't get into Mr. Show. John watched most of that by himself.

Unknown said...

Bridg, the reason why I think that you may like Tom Goes to the Mayor is that it's not absurbis/random, although it contains those elements. For that matter, South Park is that way. Likewise, Simpsons. Anyway, TGTTM involves a lot of rather stupid people with eccentric personalities in akward social situations. It's hard to describe the relationships between Tom (who is eager, clueless, and well intentioned) with the Mayor (who is also clueless, narracisitic, and a wee bit nuts).
I don't know. I think you should TiVo it and try it.
Oh yeah. I meant to say that after thinking about what we each like about Ali G, you may like TGTTM because it has some of that same strange social interaction. And is physical comedy more of a guy thing? Is that because we tend to have more spatially oriented minds? Or is it because you just don't know your directions? Quick! Which way is North?

Ruth said...

I like Monty Python too - lots of it, anyway, and especially the Holy Grail - is that supposed to be a guy thing? I haven't seen any of the other things you mentioned.

Bridget said...

So maybe Monty Python is just me. But do you think there are some things that appeal more to one gender? Or is it just personal preference?

donna said...

I think it might be more of a personal preference thing. Unless we're talking "romantic" comedy- I'd be more likely to vote for gender on that one.

Ruth said...

FWIW, here's something I found about the subject...

Matt Haugland said...

I laughed like crazy at the first scene of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but I don't remember laughing at all after that. But I'm weird -- I think Ocean's 11 is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, but it's not even really supposed to be funny.