Friday, August 18, 2006

Oh, So Your Kid Is Special Too?

Here is the most difficult part of my job for me: the parents.

Tonight a new student and her mom stopped by my room, while I was on my cell phone ordering takeout for dinner. The girl really didn't say anything, but the mom told me her daughter is very advanced in lang. arts, and is reading at a college level. In the seventh grade...

So she wants me to make special assignments for her, of course. This makes me really nervous at the first meeting because I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to satisfy this mom. She said her daughter reads 4-7 books per week, and that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...At least I know what I'm getting into I guess.

I know that as a teacher you're not supposed to take stuff so personally, but I can't help it. It's so hard to try to be exactly what each parent wants. Ugh.

No comments: