Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Dark

This darkness is going to kill me. Not the metaphorical darkness either, but this dang getting dark in the middle of the day business. Seriously, I looked out on the lawn and thought about mowing, but it was already dusk at 6:45 tonight. Driving home from the grocery store at 7:30, it was pitch black. And for some reason, it just doesn't feel right to be all up and about doing things when it's pitch black outside. It makes my body think it's time to curl up on the couch under a blanket. Bah!

On the topic of darkness, I've been reading Kathleen Norris' latest book, Acedia and Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life. I like it for a couple of reasons. The first is that I can relate to the restless, always wanting change part of acedia. I get that. I also like it because it lets the reader in on things that were just sort of thrown out there in her other books. She mentioned her husband's breakdowns in other books, but you really get to know it here. Perhaps I'm a little too nosy, but with this one it feels like you know what was really going on when she wrote the others.

Since a trinity of topics usually makes something better, I'll come up with a third. Did you know that on Blogger you can have followers? And I have one! How cool is that?

No comments: