Monday, January 30, 2006

Spectacle

I got new glasses over Christmas, and I love them. They're green, my favorite color. I actually got them back this week after a debacle with Lenscrafters. I won't tell the whole story, but it involves me looking very crazy to the Lenscrafters people, and ends with me getting lenses from my eye doctor in Iowa.

Anyway, so I wear them to school today. Oh, and the lenses are Transitions, so they turn blue/purple outside. I had recess duty this morning, so I was outside wearing them. I came back in, and saw half of the 8th graders. Now, some of them were very cool--they either minded their own business, or they said "hey, nice glasses Ms. De Yager." And then there are those chosen few...who said mean things. Especially this one girl, who said "Wait, you're actually going to wear those? Like for real?" And then sort of snickered...I wanted to call her a bad name in class. And I kept thinking in my head "regressive pull, regressive pull" which is where when you spend enough time with adolescents, you want to act like them. And I totally wanted to. But, I kept calm and just said mean things in my mind. I still love them. The glasses, that is.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I like your glasses very, very, very much.

Unknown said...

yes, they're cool. Nice restraint against the evil which is middle school girls. I'd have no patience.

a(vb)scene said...

Here - you win :)http://abvbscene.blogspot.com/

Bridget said...

Sweet, I win.

Thanks for the compliments on the glasses. Sometimes I have no patience for middle school girls either, which is when we read silently, or do something else that requires NO interaction whatsever. Other days I LOVE them. Hormones, I guess.