Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Civic Duty Complete!

So only about an hour after my post about civic duty, I was called in to jury duty. I was excited about it in the same way I get excited about voting--such an interesting process. It was a lot of waiting, during which I met a dental hygienist student who said she tried to get off jury duty by saying she doesn't believe in judging people. weak.

She didn't get to go. So after the waiting we went into the court room and the judge was great. She took the time to explain things, even the history, and according to her, privelege of doing jury duty. She said that up until the late 70s women weren't guaranteed the right to serve on a jury.

Somehow my number was called in the first group to be questioned. I got dismissed ono a hardship, since I have a trip planned starting this weekend. Though I was happy not to have to miss the trip, I was a little disappointed to leave the process so early. I think the strangest thing about it though was that when asked about a hardship I had to explain myself in a microphone, to the judge, in front of 60 strangers.

No comments: