Thursday, July 19, 2007

These Are Not My People

I'm not really sure how to put into words what I'm thinking. Basically, the post title sums it up, at least how I'm feeling right now.

When I decided to move, I knew there would be this time at the beginning that would suck. I've moved enough to know that the first year somewhere is basically shit. You don't know people, you have to learn where to buy wine and find a new person to cut your hair, and you are basically in your own head a lot.

This time is a little different because my family is here, but mostly the same. Having my family here has kept me from being insane with loneliness and regret about moving, but these are not my people. Even being with my family reminds me that as much as I love them, we don't always have a lot in common.

Small things remind me that this is a very different place. I can't think of one person I know here who would have heard of the Sopranos, much less seen it so we could talk about it. Instead of calling fertility treatments by their names, people call it "doctoring." I don't know anyone else right now who listens to public radio.

Don't get me wrong, I know those people exist, and probably even here, but right now I don't know where they are. Hopefully soon.

No comments: