Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Book of Common Prayer

Okay, I have to admit ignorance and confusion here. I see people quoting or talking about the Book of Common Prayer all over the place, and I really have no idea what book you're talking about. Maybe I'm ignorant, or it's from a faith tradition other than my own.

All the searches I've done, including the library, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble, have turned up myriads of common prayer books.

So, can anyone tell me which is the Book of Common Prayer?

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Hey Bridget, Here's a site I found.

Matt Haugland said...

It's very big in Anglican (and Episcopal) churches. It's a book of prayers that they read from - either as part of the liturgy or for personal prayers. From what I've been told, it helps people focus better on the prayer by not having to think about how to word it.

Bridget said...

It's interesting to me because it seems like one of those things that binds the church together, now and throughout history. Is there one that people generally agree on, or is it like a variety of hymnbooks?

Oh, and Matt, congrats on your PhD! I saw your family in the airport in Denver, and your mom is so proud!

Ruth said...

As I understand it, it's basically the same from one country to another except for regional differences like, for example, mine, which is a US edition, has prayers for Congress and the President, whereas the one they use in England has prayers for the royal family and the Prime Minister. I didn't read all of that link I sent you, or I'd know more. :-)

I know that the prayers in the US edition are in many/most cases the same as the ones I remember from being in C of E churches as a child.

Matt Haugland said...

Thanks!!!
So funny that you saw my family in Denver!