Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Cut? Or the other C word?

Disclaimer: If you don't like to read the "c" word (the one that rhymes with bunt), don't read on.

So today we're in school, and my 7th graders are in their literature circles. In regular speak, they were sitting in circles discussing books. I'm walking around, listening to the different conversations, and I hear the word "cunt" being thrown around. And really loudly too.... The conversation, as far as I can recollect, went like this:

student a: You mean cunt?
studen b: yeah, cunt. I heard it last night, cunt!
studnet a: Not cut?
student b: No, cunt.
student c: I've never even heard cunt before.
student d: What's cunt?

So I walk over, a little alarmed that they're yelling "cunt" out so loudly. I say "Guys, I'd really like for you to stop saying that word." Of course, they ask me if it's a bad word. I say "Um, yeah." One of the kids says "So what does it mean?" Um......I take a deep breath and say "It's another word for genitals, but not a nice one. In fact, probably one of the worst you can say."

Of course, I'm curious as to why they started talking about it in the first place. Turns out that one of the kids was at his youth group last night, and their discussion was on swearing. One of the kids said that "cunt" is a bad word, but no one believed that guy. Pretty funny, I think.

Then later, the same student who heard the word "cunt" at youth group last night was talking to some others about the worship band he's playing in at school. Some of the others were asking what kinds of songs they play, and he said "We don't play any gay songs like Jesus loves me." HA! Blasphemous, perhaps, but amusing.

Oh boy...one more thing to add to the list of things I never thought I'd hear/say with seventh graders.

No comments: