Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Progress!

I can now play twinkle, twinkle, little star and baa baa black sheep on my viola. Whoo-hoo! And did you know that the viola is one of the few instruments to use the alto clef? This throws my whole music-reading world of knowledge off-kilter. No longer will the phrases "Every good boy does fine," and "Good boys do fine always" guide me through the notes on the staff.

I'm still a little confused about clefs though, and maybe some musical people can help out. If the point of it is to assign notes to places on the clef, why can't we just have one? Is it because you just need room for more notes? I can't quite visualize it.

6 comments:

donna said...

When do we get a concert?

The Bass clef was hard for me- I learned the notes on the strings pretty quickly, but had a hard time remembering the names of the actual notes.

I'm not really sure how the whole thing works- because isn't the lowest note on the treble clef the highest on the bass? so then is the alto span half of each?

Bridget said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bridget said...

I think so...I've only ever played piano before, and violin by ear as a tot, so I'm not sure. I'm guessing that the teacher will tell me at my lesson tomorrow.

You will get a concert, Donna, when I have songs that are about things other than sheep and stars. :)

Matt Haugland said...

Any chance you'll be ready for that concert by mid-June?

Bridget said...

Hmm...well, if you are willing to listen to Twinkle, Twinkle and possibly Hot Cross Buns, I'll be happy to play them. :)

Matt Haugland said...

Yeah! I'm sure you'll be an expert at those songs by then!