Monday, May 29, 2006

More Insomnia

I seem to go through periods of time when I don't sleep well. This week has been one of them. Often I think that I'm not sleeping well because of things on my mind. Then I have freaky dreams. Like last night, when for some reason I had to remove two viscious cats from a fictitious house. Clawing and scratching, they clung to my arms anytime I was able to get a hold of them. And for some reason the area where they were was a very, very, long hallway where they would run up and down, escaping.

So tonight, instead of laying in bed thinking about all the things on my mind, I decided to start in on a biography of Zora Neale Hurston, one of my favorite authors. I really like the first line: "There was never quite enough for Zora Neale Hurston in the world she grew up in, so she made up whatever she needed."

Zora's writing is also breathtaking. Talking about wanting to know about the end of the world, the author says she asked "whether it was sort of tucked under like the hem of a dress." The biographer says she wanted to journey out to the horizon to see the end of the earth, but couldn't find anyone to go with her. Realizing she had no companion, she said "I did not give up the idea of my journey. I was merely lonesome for someone brave enough to undertake it with me."

Although I'm no Zora Neale Hurston, and have no brave undertakings waiting, like exploring the very ends of the world, I resonate with the sentiment at this point in my life.

Now, another attempt at sleep.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Hey Bridget--

I used to have dreams about cats biting into my arms, and when I tried to shake them off they wouldn't let go, so I would end up flinging them through the air. Here's what dreammoods.com says about cat dreams: :)

To see a cat in your dream, signifies much misfortune, treachery, and bad luck. However, for the cat lover, cats signifies an independent spirit, feminine sexuality, creativity, and power. If the cat is aggressive, then it suggests that you are having problems with the feminine aspect of yourself. If a cat is biting you, then it symbolizes the devouring female. Perhaps you are taking and taking without giving. You may be expressing some fear or frustration especially when something is not going as planned. If you see a cat with no tail, then it signifies a lost of independence and lack of autonomy.

To dream that you chase the cat away, signifies that you will overcome your obstacles.
To see a white cat in your dream, denotes that you are going through difficult times.If you see a black cat in your dream, then it indicates that you are experiencing some fear in using your psychic abilities and believing in your intuition. You may erroneously associate the black cat with evil, destruction, and bad luck.