Sunday, May 21, 2006

Voila! Viola!


This is my new viola! I've been thinking about taking piano lessons again for quite a while, but was irked by the fact that I'd have to go to school to practice.

So, inspired by Donna's recent foray into cello playing, I decided to go the string route and try the viola. It's my first stringed instrument since I was four and played a tiny violin for about a year, entirely by ear with the Suzuki method. I'm not sure if I'm going to take lessons again, but I've rented the viola for three months so I'll have a good long time to get used to it.

So far today I've figured out the first 7 notes of Mary Had a Little Lamb, and probably the same amount of Baa, Baa, Black Sheep...why is is that all the easy songs are about sheep?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having a new hobby. It's slightly more respectable than scrapbooking, and decidedly more effort. I'm taking names for my viola if anyone has suggestions. And Viola is definitely out.

13 comments:

donna said...

Yay! Where did you rent it from?

Bridget said...

Yeah, I'm totally excited! I got it at the Starving Musician, mostly because they were the only ones open on Sunday, and actually had a viola for rent.

I'm e-mailing with a teacher about lessons right now!

Any name ideas, Donna?

donna said...

Is it a boy or girl? And do you know what country was it made in? That can be important ;-)

Bridget said...

It's German, made by Glaesel. I'm not sure if it's a boy or a girl...how do you check with a viola?

donna said...

I guess they're gender shifters- since you can choose. Or are musical instruments like boats, to where they're generally female?

For a girl...Frieda or Etta might be fun...For a boy...I've been a big fan of the name Gerhardt lately. But then again, you might want a name that begins with a V, so you can say "Victor the Viola".

Bridget said...

Maybe Wiebke (with the "w" sounding like a v). Or I really like Etta too. I think she is a girl

donna said...

maybe you should go all out and name her wiebka etta.

Ruth said...

I think violas are female.

All I can think of is Twelfth Night. Call it Cesario.

(No, I haven't been reading it but we did watch the movie.)

Bridget said...

I like Cesario, although it sounds a little bit like Cesarian. Anything more feminine, Ruth?

meganleah said...

I agree that violas are female, however, their tone lends to more of a alto...deep voice so I think the name should reflect that. How about Vivica the Viola.

Ruth said...

Cesario IS feminine, in that it's Viola's name when she's dressed up as a man so that she can serve in Orsino's court. :-)

How about Olivia, if we're sticking to the whole Twelfth Night theme?

Bridget said...

Obviously I haven't read it. :)

After reading all the ideas, I've decided on Viktoria. Tomorrow night is my first lesson, yea!

Ruth said...

Viktoria the Viola - great choice. :-)