Monday, May 29, 2006

The Lesser Known Sports

As most of ya'll know, athletics have never been my strong point. In fact, I came up with multiple ways to avoid playing sports in P.E. class. When I was in 4th or 5th grade we got a new school counselor. He was the first counselor we'd ever had, and so he started off by meeting with each of us individually. During our meeting, he very seriously asked me if there was anything he could do to make school better for me. I was thrilled--I knew exactly what I wanted. I asked him if he could excuse me from P.E. for the rest of the year. When he laughed and said he couldn't do that, I realized that school counselors are basically a crock.

Althetic activities were better in college when they weren't forced. I didn't hate floor hockey, and I even liked tennis. But as I'm moving on into my 20s, I'm realizing that I don't hate sports, but I just wasn't doing the right ones. I should have focused my energies on the lesser known sports, like laser tag and bocce.

Friday we took our 7th graders to play laser tag after school, and I kicked ass. After 2 rounds of laser tag, I took 2nd place! That means I beat 29 seventh graders, the other 7th grade teacher, and a parent. That rocked! The kids were shocked because it was my first time playing laser tag. I loved it though, and I got to pick a code name--Queen Bee.

Sunday we played Bocce Ball in the park for Becky's birthday, and I love it. I may not be as good at it as Donna is, but it's great.

Cheers for the lesser known sports!

4 comments:

donna said...

It was luck.

Does this mean you're going to invest in a bocce set?

jason vande brake said...

WOW! I'm impressed! You must be pretty great at lazer tag because one would assume that seventh-graders would be among the best around.

donna said...

I should clarify that my first comment was about me being good at bocce, not you being a rockstar at laser tag. That would have been a fun game to watch.

Bridget said...

Thanks, guys. I think I'll be putting off a bocce set for a while, in favor of a viola. And you're right about the 7th graders Jas, except for that their reasoning skills are less developed...like a bunch of the girls were sure it made more sense to bunch together than to separate. So, I just got to fire into the crowd and get someone. :)