Friday, June 09, 2006

The end of it all

The last week and a half has been mentally exhausting, grading stacks of research papers, quarter tests, make-up work, and organizing drivers for field trips. After Monday, it will all be over. Today was the deadline for grades, but sadly I still have a little work left to do. After having a minor breakdown at school, my principal told me to go home and have a glass of wine. Check.

So as I was having this glass of wine and unwinding from a stressful day, I started reading one of the last assignments my 7th graders did for me. I asked them to write a short letter to the 6th grade class, for me to read to them on their first day of seventh grade.

Here is the best advice (both wise and funny), excerpted from their letters (spelling and emphasis theirs:
  • Two good events in seventh grade are Spiritual Retreat and LaserQuest (don't let Miss De brag about her beating you or us; it's a long story.
  • If you ever want to see your phone again, don't let the teachers see it.
  • Also, if you think no one is interested in the opposite sex in the seventh grade, you don't have very good common sense, be prepared for more couples.
  • First of all, never try to suck-up to your teachers. It DOESN'T work. Second, if you have a problem, talk to an 8th grader or a teacher. P.S. If you're ever smelling lotion, don't squeeze the bottle. I know from personal experience.
  • Teachers will respect you more if you do your homework and ask questions. And don't borderline dress code, it's really embarrasing to have to change into your P.E. shorts.
  • During later classes in the afternoon you can drift off and watch the P.E. classes out the window
  • Don't try to get in trouble on purpose
  • Don't try to argue with Mrs. B, you'll NEVER win
  • Don't argue with any of the women teachers, you'll NEVER win
  • Some of the teachers might seem iffy at the beginning, but toward the middle of the year they might turn out to be funny, or do something to surprise you.

And here's one student's whole letter, after I clearly said I wanted two paragraphs, and/or a do/don't list: "Dear Sixth Grader, It's good to know that Miss De is strickt and it's not a good idea to upset her."

No comments: