Monday, June 19, 2006

Projects!

I LOVE having projects to do. I think I like them partly because in my work I don't really get to see many "finished products," so it's nice to see other things come to completion. Today I started on two summer projects. The first is a baby blanket I'm going to knit for one of the new babies. Today I went to a yarn store near my house and got some beautiful dark gray yarn.

My grandmother taught me how to knit quite a few years ago now, and I've never really gotten past scarves. Actually, I think I may have completed what I called a "cat scarf," really just a very small scarf. Then there was the WAY too big rainbow scarf....also never finished. Not that this bodes well for the baby blanket, but yeah...

The other project I started, and actually completed today, is a place to keep my knitting needles. Right now they live in a "To teach is to touch a life forever" bag embroidered with my name...and a "Miss" in front of it. :(

When my grandparents moved into a retirement home, my grandmother gave me a trove of knitting, crotcheting, and sewing things, which I love. So I bought fabric and sewed up the handy knitting needle holder. It's kind of like a knife or jewelry roll--there are pockets for the needles, and then it rolls up and ties with a ribbon. I quite like it.

My next project is going to be more domesticity on display--bread. I've never been sucessful at making any type of yeast bread from scratch, so I'm anxious to try again. I'm thinking cinnamon rolls....mmmm.

5 comments:

donna said...

Very nice! I gotta make me one of those so my needles can stop floating around the bottom of my dresser drawer!

meganleah said...

Oh, you domestic women. I'm an actual "house wife" and I don't do neat things like that. I've very crafty at wrappy shit filled dipers tightly so that nothing nasty leaks as you run to the trash. Talent, I know. Jealous, you are.

donna said...

Megan, you're hilarious. I can't wait to see you in August (I'm hopefully coming to Heather's wedding).

Nellie said...

I did not know you were so domestic!

Bridget said...

Thanks for the compliments ladies, but don't be deceived. I suck at most domestic duties like cleaning and cooking. I'm good at the mostly useless things like knitting needle coozies.

Oh, and Megan, you crack me up. Jealous, I am. :)