Saturday, June 03, 2006

Good, Solid Names

In August I will, Lord willing, become the proud aunt of another little baby. No one (including myself) seems to believe that being the older, wiser aunt gives me any naming rights, but that doesn't keep me from thinking about it.

Although I love my nephew dearly, I really hope this one's a girl. And, I also hope she gets a good, solid name. One of my colleagues in Haiti told me about the custom of giving a name in the hopes that the child will grow up into the meaning. That seems wise to me. Also, it helps you avoid the trendy names that have little meaning, like Madison, McKenzey, etc. Sorry if any of you have children named that...but ick. So, even though I don't think anyone in my family reads this, here are the top 5 names and meanings I think would be good choices for the little one:

Eva: Giver of Life
Anna: Gracious
Grace: Grace
Kate: Pure
Zora: Dawn

And, just for fun, my top 5 cat names:

Chairman Mao (say it out loud)
Mr. Kittyhead
Gladys
Quiddie (sorry Amanda, I'm taking it back)
Dog

7 comments:

Chef Mayhem said...

For a cat I like Jonesie.

(Okay, I found out that the beans were not spilled by who I told you spilled the beans. The beans were simply discussed in that instance, but my wife informs me that she brought the beans up herself because she had already known the bean story since you told her over the game of bocce. I know that's a whole lot of beans. But I feel that I needed to be as clear as possible about the beans, since people's reputations are at stake.)

Who do you think would like to go to Disneyland??

I also like Jack for a cat. I don't know, Dog seems a little obvious. But I call our cat Baggy Pants, so I am not a good cat namer.

Bridget said...

Hey, don't worry about the beans. It was all just a little weird (even before tonight) because I wasn't sure I really wanted the beans in the first place. :)

It is funny to say that the chef spilled the beans though.

I love baggy pants for a cat. It makes me picture your cat in pajama pants, flannel ones with a drawstring.

I don't know about Disneyland. We should put the word out though.

Nellie said...

I have to say that you have great taste in girl names!

Bridget said...

Thanks, Nellie! I've always liked your girls' names, even before I knew that your girls had them.

And where might your blog be, miss Nellie?

Matt Haugland said...

Shouldn't it be "Chairman Meow" instead of "Mao"?

Bridget said...

That does make sense, but I think that "mao" sounds more like a real cat sound than "meow." I think a cat named after a Chinese dictator is more humorous too. Cats are a little like that, I think. :)

Ruth said...

We had a dog named Inu once, which is "dog" in Japanese.

The only thing I enjoy about owning a dog (well, apart from the security aspect) is naming it. Lots of fun. Right now we have Tarkheena and Waggy. OK, so my 3 year old named Waggy.