Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I think I heart Victoria

Yes, it's Valentine's Day. When I woke up, I was just not feeling in a Valentine's mood. Actually, I just didn't feel like being nice to anyone, much less lovey-dovey. I also hate the fact that V-day means people give each other gifts because they should. I think that the gifts would actually be much more meaningful at other times, when you're not expected to do it.

Being in the foul mood that I was, I didn't wear a shred of red or pink today. Instead, just a black and white skirt and a black button-down shirt. My kids actually said "You look like a real teacher today! That's weird!" I don't quite get that, but whatever...

So I walk up to school, not yet having had breakfast (running late), and I see a real cheery mom who says "Miss De, where is your red? Or pink?" And she's grinning from ear to ear. I quickly debate whether to tell her I'm wearing red underwear (I'm not) or to just laugh. I chose just laughing, it was easier. So the day goes on, and my kids all have cupcakes and doughnuts and other stuff I'm trying to stay away from. But, as the day goes on, my heart softens. A few kids gave me really nice Valentine's cards, and even though they weren't real heartfelt messages, they did go out of their way to give a teacher a card.

With a softened heart I was walking toward my car when I saw the same mom from the morning...ugh. This time she says "Oh, still no red?" Uh, I was supposed to change during school? And so finally I fess up and say "Well, I'm just not really big on Valentine's Day." And she looks at me and says "Oh, well, I was starting to worry about you." WHAT? For not wearing red or pink? Gee whiz, golly.

But, tonight, I found someone I can heart. Her name is Victoria, and she's my new hairdresser. Perhaps Amanda is the only one who's heard the extent of it, but my hairdresser woes the last few years have been harrowing. But Victoria rocks. My haircut looks very similar to the picture I showed her, and she got the color right. Plus, she's nice and not so super chit-chatty. I heart Victoria.

Oh, and school mom? Here's my red for today.

No comments: