Saturday, February 04, 2006

A Squirrel's Morning

This past summer while I was working at camp, the kids in my group wrote and produced an iMovie called Squirrel Attack. It was awesome. Anyway, I was reminded of it this morning when I saw this squirrel. At first he was just sitting there, and I thought I would watch him a while. After reading Heather's post about her attack, I thought it would be prudent to keep an eye on him.
So he sat there a while on the trellis, then he decided to lay down and relax, almost like he was posing for me.
And then, strangely enough, he struck another pose which I'd like to call "bashful squirrel."
And then all hell broke loose. He decided to jump off the trellis, and scale the stucco building in a single bound. Only, he wasn't alone. The trellis is between my building and the next one, maybe three feet away. Next thing I know, he is chasing another squirrel and I can hear them scampering across my building.
As they were scampering, this squirrel appeared at my window for a brief, shocking moment. Finally, they both scampered off into the concrete forest.
Here's something I didn't know--squirrels groom themselves much like cats. If you don't believe me, just look at the picture.

2 comments:

Heather said...

when I saw the fist picture of the squirral I had a little internal jump moment. And the picture where you describe him as grooming....I see him practicing a ninja kick.

Unknown said...

Bloody fantastic!