Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pick me! Pick me!



I am so excited! I just applied for a summer fellowship with the Industry Initiatives for Science and Math Education. They place teachers to work for "high-performance work sites" for the summer, with the goal of teachers taking back to their schools knowledge of what students will need to know for the workplace. If I'm selected, I would work in the corporate world for 8 weeks on a project, and get to spend 10% of my time designing a project for my classroom, using what I've learned from the summer experience. And, I'd get paid!

I'm really hoping to get a fellowship doing curriculum design. Some of the sample jobs were things like working for Adobe to create teacher training workshops on using Adobe software in the classroom. I would absolutely LOVE that. I'd get to learn something new about computers (yes!), and design curriculum (yes!). I know my inner geek is coming out, but I really hope I get a great fellowship. And corporate experience will definitely look good on my resume.

Oh, and the cat has nothing to do with this post. I just like it when cats do "cat eyes," where they slowly blink their eyes at you. It seems like some sort of zen acknowledgment of you.

3 comments:

donna said...

Very cool! Would you stay in the San Jose area? When do you find out about your application?

a(vb)scene said...

Wow, Bridge! What a seriously cool opportunity! I know that is a giant cliche to use when someone might do something cool, but I mean it with all sincerity - and not at all in the sense Ms. Ten Apel might use it :)Maybe if she heard about this she might give up the fantasy that you are still teaching in Haiti!

Bridget said...

Thanks, guys! Hopefully I would be in San Jose, but I said on my app. that I'd go as far as SF, or Morgan Hill in either direction. Matching between candidates and businesses happens anytime between now and May, but hopefully I'll know much sooner!