Sunday, February 26, 2006

Post-O-Rama

I guess I just have a lot to say today.

This weekend was a fine one. Yesterday I went to the San Francisco MOMA with some friends, and then to another gallery with amazing photographs of fire in landscapes, at least that's what I think you would call them.

The MOMA had a Chuck Close exhibit which was really cool. I hadn't ever thought about artists as having very strategic, mathematical processes for creating their art, but Close must've spent oodles of time planning out every tiny bit of his paintings. They had some of his studies and grids on display that show exactly how he would map out a photograph to turn it into a painting. I can't imagine spending all that time meticulously choosing colors and patterns getting the effect he wanted. I think it's amazing, but I never really knew that artists were so logical, as flippant as that sounds. I always imagined that you started a painting, and it sort of evolved as you went, ala Bob Ross.

You learn something new every day.

Oh, and we watched the Olympics after the museum. I also learned something new from Mr. Bob Costas--the Olympic games are the civic maypole around which we dance. No, he really said that. And there was something about olympic pixie dust...

No comments: